Timeline Exploration -- 1970 - 1979
Enjoy these biographical details, documents and media. Back to the timeline.
- 1970 General Circulation Model (GCM) Tech Note (TN-56) is published.
- 1970 Boulder Elks Club discrimination against African-Americans; Dan Rather talk; letter to Boulder's Daily Camera newspaper.
- 1971 Chair, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Youth Council.
- 1976 Served on American Meteorological Society (AMS) Board on Women and Minorities.
- 1978Warren is selected as principal investigator to lead the first effort to use the NCAR climate model to study the effects on climate of increasing carbon dioxide concentrations from burning fossil fuels.
"There were increasing concerns about the effects on climate of increasing carbon dioxide concentrations caused by the burning of fossil fuels. Fred Koomanoff, Program Director at the Carbon Dioxide Research Division, and his colleague Mike Riches of the Department of Energy (DOE) visited NCAR and asked the NCAR Director, Francis Bretherton, if we would be willing to help examine climate impacts, such as global warming, by using our climate model. [...] I was selected to be the principle investigator of the project. It is still ongoing after more than a quarter of a century."
- 1978 Served on the President's National Advisory Committee on Oceans and Atmosphere.
- 1972 Letter sent by then NCAR Director, Dr. Walter Orr Roberts, to Dr. Norman A. Phillips, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), about concerns that Warren raised regarding the difficulties faced by black atmospheric scientists. (read)
- 1973 Memo to Bryan Morgan discussing the beginnings of the Committee on Women and Minorities of the AAAS. (read)
- 1975 Trip report upon return from a meeting of the Committee on Women and Minorities of the AAAS. (read)
Photographs, Figures, Posters
Click thumbnails for larger view.